Wrinkles on a bridal gown may not be an eyesore, but you shouldn’t take them lightly. Even if you think the creases won’t be noticeable from a distance, a wrinkled wedding dress is the last thing you want to wear on your big day.
Hiring a professional steamer is the best way to remove wrinkles from bridal gowns. But if you’ve traveled or you’re on a tight budget, steaming may not be a viable option. Fortunately, there are still easy and inexpensive ways to get wrinkles out of your wedding dress without using a professional steaming service.
6 Ways to Ge Wrinkles Out of Wedding Dress
Here are six ways to get wrinkles out of a wedding dress without a steamer:
1. Use a Commercial Wrinkle Releaser
The easiest and fastest way to get wrinkles out of a wedding dress is to use a commercial wrinkle remover spray.
Commercial wrinkle sprays are safer because no heat is involved. Plus, they are very easy to use.
- Dampen the dress with water before applying the commercial spray. Wet the dress moderately; don’t allow it to absorb too much water.
- Evenly spray the commercial wrinkle remover on the wedding dress.
- Ask a friend or someone near to help you shake the dress thoroughly. If you are tall enough, you can do the shaking yourself.
The commercial wrinkle spray will get rid of the creases from the dress in minutes. Also, the spread will leave a scent on the garment, making the fabric smell fresh.
It’s fine if you can’t find commercial wrinkle spray in stock. You can make your own from the comfort of your home.
To make the spray, you will need a container for mixing, 1 tablespoon full of fabric softener, 240 ml of water, which is equivalent to a single cup, and a spray bottle.
- Mix the fabric softener with water using the mixing container and shake thoroughly.
- Pour the solution into the spray bottle and test it on a small part of the wrinkled wedding dress.
If the outcome is good, use it on the garment. Air the dress in direct sunlight to dry and brighten up.
2. Rain Down Water from the Shower
Although this method involves the use of heat, it still is one of the safest ways to eliminate wrinkles from your bridal gown.
You will need hot water from a showerhead and a hanger. Now:
- Make sure your hands are clean so that they don’t introduce dirt to the wedding dress.
- Put the dress on the hanger and have it hung in the shower.
- Set the shower to hot and then turn it on. Remember that the hotter the water the better the faster you’ll get the creases out of the dress.
There shouldn’t be any detergent near the dress as hot water steams it. Seal the bathroom by closing the door, windows, and any other openings in the bathroom so that the air within doesn’t escape. The smaller the bathroom space is the better.
- Have hot water flow through the wedding dress for about 10 minutes.
Depending on the type of fabric used, it may take more than the estimated period to see wrinkles disappearing from some dresses. So let the water continue running for an additional 10 minutes if the first 10 didn’t result in significant changes.
- After 20 minutes of steaming, turn off the shower and take the bridal gown off the hanger.
- Have the dress aired outside in direct sunlight to brighten it up.
Those prone to forgetting should consider setting a 10-minute alarm alert either on the phone or stopwatch.
3. Use a Hair Dryer
A hairdryer can get rid of wrinkles from your wedding dress. So if you feel like you’re running late and there’s no professional steamer near you, the hairdryer is going to make a big difference.
You will need a flat surface and two sheets:
- Spread one of the sheets on the surface.
- Lay the dress on the sheet.
- Cover the front of the dress with the other sheet.
- Hold the hairdryer a few inches away from the top dress and blast hot air directly to the top sheet.
You will notice the wrinkles getting out of sight. You should consider sprinkling a bit of water on the garment before blowing it over with the hot air.
4. Use a Hair Straightener
Hair straighteners are among the best tools for removing wrinkles out of bridal gowns because they can deal with stubborn creases in areas hard to iron such as sleeves and cuffs. Here’s how to do it:
- Examine the hair straightener, making sure it is clean with no loose hairs, rust, or stains.
- Set the heat to moderate.
- Use the least amount of pressure so that the wedding dress doesn’t get burnt in the process.
5. Use Vinegar
The standard white vinegar can get wrinkles out of a wedding dress with ease as well. Vinegar is chemical-free, friendly to the threads, and thankfully cost-efficient. The instructions are simple:
- Get the wedding garment wet.
- Spray the vinegar on it.
This should help to clear creases from the dress, not to mention help with a bit of cleaning and deodorizing. Consider mixing vinegar with water if you want a weaker solution.
6. Use the Base of a Heated Pot
The heat from the base of a heated pot can remove ugly wrinkles from a wedding dress fast.
- Get a pot, fill it with water, and then boil.
- Empty the water from the pot into a bowl or basin.
- Apply the heated base of the pot to the garment to remove the creases.
The heat at the bottom of the pot is not consistent. It may cool quicker than expected, so you’ll need to keep boiling water to reheat the base.
Although this is one of the cheapest ways to get rid of wrinkles on a wedding dress, it’s not an ideal option for those who hate reheating the base of a pot multiple times just to remove creases from a dress. Remember also to check the bottom of the pot for anything that could stain the dress. Pots do sometimes get oily residue from cooking and you don’t want it to end up on your gown.
Frequently asked questions
How do you steam a wedding dress?
Think of it as creating your own steam room. Cover a bathroom floor with towels and run a very hot shower, allowing the room to fill with steam. (Just don’t close the door, or the dress may get overly damp.) Next, wrap your arm in a dry, white towel and run it down the length of the gown, smoothing out any wrinkles.
How do you steam wrinkles out of a dress?
Using a steamer is as easy as heating the thing up, hanging the wrinkled item on a sturdy hanger, and steaming away. After steaming, let the garment dangle on the hanger for 10 or so minutes to allow the wrinkles to ease out, post-steaming.
How do you get wrinkles out of a tulle wedding dress?
To remove the wrinkles, introduce moisture in the form of steam to relax the tulle. You can put the tulle in the bathroom and run a hot shower, wave a steam machine nozzle over the wrinkles, put the tulle in a cool dryer, or use steam from an iron to get the wrinkles out.
When should you get your wedding dress steamed?
We schedule the steaming of dresses by the day you want to pick them up, which should be as close to your wedding day as possible. Then you will drop your dress off a week to ten days before that date, which you do not need an appointment to do.
How do you get wrinkles out of tulle without a steamer?
The answer when you don’t have a steamer is ironing. Set the iron on the lowest possible temperature setting. Place a cotton sheet or handkerchief on top of the tulle as a pressing cloth to protect the tulle from burning. Move the iron back and forth over the cloth quickly to remove wrinkles.
How can I steam a dress without a steamer?
This might not be suitable for all dresses but you can unwrinkle clothes in the dryer.
If you can, spritz the items with water and toss them in with a damp item or two (like damp socks). You can even throw a couple of ice cubes into the dryer. When they melt, they give off steam that’ll help your garments ditch their wrinkles. Spin for about 15 minutes on medium.
How do you Unwrinkle silk without an iron?
To begin with, use a fine mist spray bottle and spray water on the wrinkled area. Remember not to wet the area more than necessary, as drying will take time. Now use a hairdryer to blow hot air on the slightly wet area so as to free it from wrinkles. Hot air will dry the area and remove the creases.
Steaming remains the most effective way to get wrinkles out of a wedding dress. But if steam treatment isn’t a viable option for you, consider the methods we’ve shared in this guide because they’ll give you similar results.
While the methods we’ve shared here are cheap, they’re quite effective in getting wrinkles out of a wedding dress made of any type of fabric. Doing this at home remember that it might be a little trickier than expected so you may want to do a “dry” run on a different piece first.