Megan and Darrin traveled from Arizona to San Diego to get married last month and I’m pretty sure they chose the best place. Small intimate weddings are my favorite weddings to photograph because I get to spend the entire time with the couple and the whole affair is simple and sweet and the focus isn’t lost in the shuffle of the day. It was an honor to be a witness and to be a part of their day.
Elopements are definitely my jam!
Hasselblad H1, Kodak Portra 400
Let’s get personal, personal (sing it like the Olivia Newton song, Let’s Get Physical, Physical) and if you’re actually singing it in your head and dancing… we need to be friends! We may even be twinsies!Not the best picture of us… gummy smiles, wrinkled faces but it’s us. And I wish I could give proper photo credit here but I’m not sure who took this photo. Maybe, Jonathan Canlas?
I’m answering questions. Maybe we can get to know each other and by each other I mean me. Maybe it’ll be fun.
So here it goes…
1. Nickname: I don’t really have one. My husband calls me H. Others, when they’re trying to be gangsta will call me H-Dog. I hate it.
2. Hometown: I was born in Arcata but I don’t necessarily have a home town because I moved around so much but if I was forced to pick one it would be Owyhee, Nevada… I’m gonna guess that 9.9 out of 10 people haven’t even heard of it.
3. Current town: Rosarito, Mexico & San Diego, California
4. Education: B.S Secondary Education -health & biology, M.A ED- Counseling, M.A ED- Leadership Administration and I have a partial MBA and PhD, not official but I like to count them anyways.
5. Mermaid or Unicorn: How do I choose?! Mermaid, it’s so pretty under the sea!
6. Blackberry or Iphone: Iphone all the way!
7. Favorite breakfast food: Waffles, pancakes, cinnamon rolls! If I’m not being a fat a$$, then eggs or a green smoothie.
8. Favorite tv show: I don’t really have a favorite. I kind of got caught up in Scandal and House of Cards on Netflix but I don’t sit down and watch something on a regular basis. I do love the food network and the cooking channel. Oh and Kardashians, I’ll watch when my husband isn’t around.
9. What five items would you take from your burning house: My cameras for sure. My computer and hard drive, my dog, my vitamix, and I might go back in for some books.
10. Beach or mountains: Hard one! But I’m a beach girl.
11. Dinner Party wish list (dead or alive): Beyonce, Oprah, Kevin Hart, this is hard… and I’m sure as soon as I publish this I’ll think of ten great people to invite! Oh, Jennifer Lopez! I feel like I’d love to invite some authors but honestly I can’t think of anyone right now. Oh! I’d definitely invite some chefs! Also can’t think of any names right now.
12. Favorite ice cream flavor: Rocky Road! Anything chocolate really. I think coconut and caramel (not together) would be a close second.
13. Favorite Season: Fall
14. Favorite smell: Hmmm… for candles I like grapefruit & vanilla or some weird pairing like that. I like the smell of onions and garlic sauteing. I love the smell of the ocean. I’m really weird about smells. I can smell a lot of things and I don’t like it.
15. Camera: contax 645 (film), hasselblad h1 (film), canon 5d mark II… those are my 3 most used right now.
16. Matte or sparkle: Matte. For right now.
17. Yoga or cycle: I’d have to choose cycle. As much as I would like to be a yoga person, I definitely need to sweat.
18. Favorite flower: Peonies
19. Favorite social media: Instagram but Pinterest is pretty close. Is pinterest social media?
20. Magazine or Ipad: Uh I hate to say it but Ipad. As much as I love print and to hold it, it’s so much clutter and waste.
This is currently one of my favorite morning drinks. I made myself give up coffee… again! And to get over the temptations of my sugar-filled-cream-filled-calorie-loaded-morning drink, I make this as soon as I get up and it’s refreshing and filling and by the end of the drink I think about coffee a lot less… well, maybe a little bit less.
Adapted from Green Kitchen Stories
1/2 cups yogurt- plain and simple is best
1/2 banana or 1/2 frozen banana
1/2-1 tsp freshly grated ginger (depending on taste preference)
2 tsp honey- I left this out completely
1/4 lemon, juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tsp ground turmeric (or fresh turmeric root)
I added 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
1 tbsp bee pollen (optional)
4-5 ice cubes
Place all ingredients in a blender and mix on high speed until smooth. Add turmeric on top for presentation.
a preview of a San Diego Elopement
1. Free People does it again! This is beautiful, inspiring, and I could seriously watch it over and over and over! I might just be watching the guy over and over!
2. Raspberry Chia Overnight Oats… it’s a delicious as it sounds. I promise! It’s easy, tasty, and healthy-ish.
3. Looking for a place to throw a party, a wedding, your birthday bash… The Venue Report has the very best places and they do all the research for you. One of my favorite venue reports so far is this Flora Farms venue in Los Cabos, Mexico.
4. I failed to add this designer to my Perfect Wedding Dresses post and it definitely belongs in the number one spot. Daughters of Simone is everything I love in a designer/ dress- their brides challenge the traditional wedding and they’re in love with love, celebrating marriage, and creativity!
6. I am in love with this post! And more than that I’m in love with the idea of traveling and taking cooking classes that teach how to cook a country’s native cuisine. Thailand is definitely on my bucket list. Bonus: Mango sticky rice!
A few weeks ago I shot a wedding in Palm Springs and when you go to Palm Springs to work… you hopefully don’t just work. So, extremely exhausted from shooting the day prior and also from Gina and I staying up entirely too late chatting, we were still excited to explore and eat our way through this cute little town. We started the morning off with coffee (of course) and Buttermilk & Fresh Corn Pancakes with blueberries & bacon and Custard Cheesy Scrambled Eggs with Maple sage sausage at Cheeky’s. I highly recommended the pancakes. I know it sounds weird to have corn in your pancakes but trust me, they were so good!
We then headed to the Ace Hotel to hang out. We stopped by the pool and had ourselves a large glass of cold brew stumptown coffee, yes, a second round of coffee!
Our next stop was the Korakia Pensione. A true oasis in the desert! You walk in and immediately you’re whisked to another country, a different land and time and it’s so refreshing and relaxing. Can someone please get married there and have me shoot you and your beautiful day?!
And of course we couldn’t leave without seeing and saying goodbye to Marilyn. She’s leaving Palm Springs but you can follow her here.
The trip was brief but we explored and ate and what more could you ask for in an adventure?
Contax 645 Kodak Portra 400